Microsoft’s announcement of the Windows Azure SDK for Ruby opens up new alternatives and resources for Ruby developers to publish their apps in the cloud. This first version of the SDK (GitHub) supports working with Azure storage & Azure service bus, and deployment in a Linux VM on Azure IaaS. The 3 options covered below [...]
About Nik GarkushaNik Garkusha is the Open Platforms Lead at Microsoft Canada, responsible for a number of Open Source, Open Data and Open Government innovation programs in Canada. Nik is a founder of Open Halton: a citizen-led Open Gov community in the Halton Region, Ontario. He’s an avid Open Government and Open Data advocate, hacktivist, technology evangelist, consultant, web architect, and a “professional geek”. He is often called the Head of Open Sourcery at Microsoft. Nik’s prior work experience includes launching open source-based solutions at UNISYS corp, and work as a web developer and an IT consultant.
As of lately I’ve been experimenting with Node.JS and Express for back-ends and REST APIs of web, mobile & Windows 8 apps, such as the Hero & Finder Templates.While Azure Web Sites provide a perfect way to get going fast with Node, because Web Sites aren’t running IIS8 yet, to use Socket.IO with Node I’d [...]
This weekend I had family visiting, so I wasn’t able to attend any of the OpenDataDay events. However, I decided to do my own “mini-hackathon” during my Saturday lunch break using the new Finder & Hero templates for Windows 8. UPDATE: Use my Finder template updated with a couple of small fixes. I said [...]
This Saturday, February 23rd is the international Open Data day, and the teams at Québec Ouvert, Montréal Ouvert & OpenNorth are organizing an event – focused on open data. Just 2 days later on Monday 25th, one of the organizers Stéphane Guidoin from OpenNorth is speaking at our WebNotWar / HTLM5mtl 2-day Hackathon in Montreal, where [...]
Today our team is sharing in the excitement of revealing two new Windows 8 templates : “Finder” & “Hero”. Finder Template: user can locate points of interest on a map (e.g. buildings, historic places, etc.), with a sortable menu a “Details” and “Directions” options for each point. Hero Template: users can crowd-source location-based data (e.g. [...]
Open Data is fast becoming a ‘hot topic’ in government. I’m proud to see my colleagues & fellow open gov supporters helping governments around the world launch their cloud-powered open data catalogues: from the Government of Columbia and the European Union, to the Canadian cities of Regina, SK and Medicine Hat, AB. But it’s not [...]
January 1, 2012 marked the close of the Bhangra.me: Vancouver’s Bhangra Story exhibition at the Museum of Vancouver. The web portion of the exhibit was powered by the Drupal framework happily running on IIS 7.5 / Windows Sever 2008, which served as a repository of interactive stories accessible from: WebSite for adding & browsing interactive [...]
Last week I had the pleasure of speaking at the Webcom conference in the OpenGouv track, which is of course French for Open Gov In my session: Building Open Government Platforms of the Future I shared my thoughts on the the trends in the Open Government space in Canada and what properties ANY open gov [...]
a Case Study for Municipal Open Data [ the original article posted on OpenHalton.ca ] The heat is scorching! Residents across Ontario, Quebec and part of the US are trying to stay cool. Many seek out public swimming pools and splash-pads, and turn to their municipalities for information. Others, like Joey Coleman of OpenHamilton and [...]
Find what you need
- An Intro To The Semantic Web: Why You Need To Know About It Sooner Than Later February 8, 2011
- WHY THE @&*# IS MICROSOFT DOING THIS? May 27, 2010
- Feeling Blue? Why The Most Popular Websites Are Blue May 17, 2011
- From Apples to Mangoes: A first look at the Nokia Lumia 800 February 27, 2012
- Drupal + OGDI = Open Data goodness! November 9, 2010
- Lost Keys HD for Windows 8, a game about demons, and magic May 9, 2013
- Three ways to set up a Ruby stack on Azure May 3, 2013
- Use a template, publish your Windows 8 app, and get 100$ – limited offer April 30, 2013
- Build your next great game for Windows 8 April 29, 2013
- Setting up Ubuntu Linux VM on Windows Azure for Node.js using essential Node & Azure tools on Mac OS X April 22, 2013
- Have some fun exploring HTML5 games with PONG! | Make Web ... | HTML5 Games - Free Online HTML5 GamesHTML5 Games - Free Online HTML5 Games: [...] to learn your way around gaming with HTML5, ...
- Créé une application Windows 8 pour votre site Wordpress - Offre limitée - Connexion développeur - Site Home - MSDN Blogs: [...] Pour plus de détails sur l&...
- Hacking Open Data with the Finder Template and a Sandwich: Citizen-Ready Apps in Minutes | OpenHalton: [...] [...]...
- Useful Website Design Tips For Newbies: [...] The Role of Grids in Web Design and Beyond |...
- Open Data app competition for City of Ottawa offers $38K in prizes - Go DevMENTAL - Site Home - MSDN Blogs: [...] are Windows 8 templates for Location based a...
Follow @WebNotWar on Twitter