So, you’re joining us at the Make Web Not War Vancouver Community Night tonight and you want to get the inside scoop on how you can best prepare for the festivities. Well, I’m going to do what every event organizer shuns against and tell you exactly what you should expect tonight.
#1 – Don’t be late
The event has sold out, and we have a waiting list – so be there on time to get the most out of the evening.
#2 – Tweet to win a Nokia Lumia
That’s right: we are having a draw tomorrow for all registered attendees for a Windows Phone! To enter the draw, all you need to do is attend the event and tweet #webnotwar on Twitter. We will also be providing you with some cool swag, so make sure you have at least one hand free
#3 – Be ready to mingle
We like our events casual and comfortable – and we highly encourage interaction. Expect to meet other designers, developers, marketers, and entrepreneurs.
#4 – Prepare to learn about some really cool things
We have an incredible line-up of speakers who will be sharing some really interesting talks with us:
- Colin Calnan, Senior Developer and Emira Mears, Co-Founder of Raised Eyebrow Web Studio Inc.
- Igor Faletski, CEO, Mobify on “Mobile Web: eCommerce Done Right”
- Frederic Harper, Developer Evangelist, Microsoft Canada
- Glenn Hilton, Founder, ImageX Media, a web design + development firm
- Valerie McTavish and Tim Wohlberg, Co-Founders, Zufall Adventures
- Morten Rand-Hendriksen, Co-Founder, Pink and Yellow Media
- Kalvir Sandhu, Founder, Go Free Range
Don’t take my word for it though – see for yourself!
#5 – Developers: prepare to enter a nifty contest
We will be introducing a cool contest at the break for a chance to win an incredible prize!
#6 – Most importantly, just have fun
The truth is, we do this because love it. And we hope you will too!
I look forward to meeting you tonight. Please do swing by and say HI!
The following is the official rules and regulations for the Make Web Not War Community Night Prize Draw.
- No purchase necessary. To be eligible to win, a participant must be a legal resident of Canada and have reached the age of majority in his or her province or territory of residence at the time of entry. Any potential participant who is an employee or contingent staff of Microsoft Corporation or Microsoft Canada Inc. (“Microsoft”), their affiliated companies, advertising agencies, prize suppliers or other representatives involved in any part of the administration and execution of this contest, or a member of the respective immediate families of such employees or anyone with whom such employees are domiciled is ineligible to participate in the contest. “Immediate family” is defined as parents, siblings, children or spouse. In addition, Microsoft is committed to complying with government gift and ethics rules and therefore government employees are not eligible to participate.
- The contest will run from 9AM to 9PM PST, April 17, 2012.
- Eligible participants may enter the contest by registering and attending the Make Web Not War Vancouver Community Night and mentioning #webnotwar on Twitter.
- Winner will be selected by random draw to be held at 9PM PST on April 17, 2012. The draw will be held at The Place to V located at 1095 Mainland Street, Vancouver, BC, V6B 5P9. The chances of being selected depend upon the number of eligible entries received.
- The selected participant will be announced at the event, and prior to being declared a winner, will be required to correctly answer, unaided and without mechanical or electronic assistance, a time-limited, mathematical skill-testing technical question.
- If the selected participant is unable to correctly answer the skill-testing question, is not present, or otherwise does not meet all contest conditions, his or her prize will be forfeited and another entrant will be randomly drawn from the remaining eligible entries.
- There is 1 prize available to be won (approximate retail value of $250). The prizes will be couriered to the winner’s address within 4 weeks of the receipt of the signed declaration and release. All taxes related to a prize are payable by the winner. Any costs or expenses incurred by the winners in claiming or using their prizes are the responsibility of the winners.
- The prizes are non-transferable and no cash alternatives will be provided. Microsoft reserves the right to substitute the prizes described above with prizes of equal or greater value.
- By entering, all participants agree to abide by the official rules and regulations and decisions of the contest organizers which are final. All entries become the property of Microsoft and will not be returned.
- To be declared a winner, a selected participant will be required to sign a declaration and release to: (a) confirm compliance with the official rules and regulations; (b) release Microsoft from all liability; (c) accept the prize as awarded; and (d) consents to the use of winner’s name, city and/or province of residence, photograph, voice, image, likeness, biographical information and information about the prize, for any publicity or programming purposes, commercial or otherwise, throughout the world in any and all media used by Microsoft and its advertising and promotional agencies in connection with the contest, without payment or compensation.
- The contest is subject to all applicable federal, provincial and municipal laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
- No correspondence will be entered into with participants except with the winner.
- Subject to the approval of the Régie des alcools des courses et des jeux, Microsoft reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel or suspend the contest should causes beyond the control of Microsoft corrupt the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the contest (such as tampering or infection by computer virus, fraud, technical failures, printing or distribution errors, or any other causes or occurrences have compromised the fairness or integrity of the contest) If, as a result of an error relating to the entry process, drawing or any other aspect of the contest, there are more potential winners of prizes than contemplated in the contest rules, there will be a random draw amongst all eligible prize claimants after the contest closing date to award the prize.
- Microsoft assumes no responsibility for any (i) late, lost, delayed, not received, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, defective or altered entries; (ii) failure to receive entries due to transmission failures or technical failures of any kind, including, without limitation, malfunctioning of any network, servers, access providers, hardware or software, whether originating with sender or recipient or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site; or (iii) any combination thereof, including any injury or related damage to entrants or any other persons, whether computer-related or resulting from participation or downloading of any materials in this contest.
- With respect to Québec residents and to entries originating within theProvinceofQuébec, any litigation respecting the conduct or organization of a publicity contest may be submitted to the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux for a ruling. Any litigation respecting the awarding of a prize may be submitted to the Régie only for the purpose of helping the parties reach a settlement.
- In the event of any discrepancy or inconsistency between the terms and conditions of these rules and disclosures or other statements contained in any contest-related materials, including but not limited to the contest entry form, or point of sale, television, print or online advertising, the terms and conditions of these rules shall prevail, govern and control.